Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Restraining Orders: Is 80% enough to stake your life on?

San Luis Obispo Tribune: Restraining orders can't stop the most violent abusers An article that tries to paint a balanced picture of restraining orders, but seems to be bending over backwards to do it.
A 2002 Washington state study found that 80 percent of women who requested a restraining order in domestic violence cases reported no repeated partner violence to law officers in the year after the order was issued.
If anti-virus and firewall software only stopped 80% of the viruses - and not the worst 20% at that - would anyone use the internet? If cars only stopped 80% of the time you stepped on the brakes, how many of us would drive? Yet we are encouraged by the left, to disarm, to hand our security over to the state, and believe that the police will keep us safe. This seems insane to me.

If the best anti-virus software only caught 90% of the virus, I don't think I would use email much. If the brakes on my car only worked 99.5% of the time, I would walk much more than I do. 80% success (and they never seem to talk about years 2, 3, etc.) does not seem nearly enough to rest my security on.

What do you think?

No comments: