Thursday, June 08, 2006

Self-defense, Wrongful Death, & the Castle Doctrine

Court: Insurance Must Cover Suit Defense I don't know much about insurance law, to say if it is a good idea to force insurance companies to cover this or not.

My take on the whole thing is that the guy defended himself against attack. He should not be subject to a wrongful death suit. This is why the Castle Doctrine laws working their way through state legislatures around the country are important. If I am forced to defend myself from you, neither you nor your estate should be able to sue me for damages. Anything that happened - injury or death - was a direct result of your actions, that caused me to defend myself. Don't come looking to me because you don't want to take responsibility for your own actions.

But then hardly anyone in America wants to take responsibility.

No comments: