Monday, August 28, 2006

Books

A book meme I stole from Ken....

1) A book that changed my life:
This would be a toss up between Maiden Voyage, by Tania Aebi, Sailing Alone Around the World, by Joshua Slocum (the first man to do so, just over 100 years ago) and Saga of a Wayward Sailor by Tristan Jones. Though I read Jones' book first. These convinced me I could follow my dream. Aebi's book really convinced me that I wouldn't die... after all she didn't.

2) A book I've read more than once:
The Odyssey, by Homer. What can I say? This is one of the greatest stories ever written.

3) A book I'd take to a desert island:
Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien

4) A book that made me laugh:
To Say Nothing of the Dog: Or How We Found the Bishop's Bird Stump at Last, by Connie Willis. This is a hilarious story of time travel. It is, in some ways, the sequel to The Doomsday Book, having several of the same characters, using the same technology, etc. so you might want to take a look at that first. (It won't make you laugh.)

5) A book that made me cry:
The Doomsday Book, Connie Willis

6) A book I wish had been written:
Another volume in the Vorkosigan series by Bujold. One that follows Ivan Vorpatril instead of Miles Vorkosigan. Ivan, Miles' tall, good-looking cousin, is frequently around just for comic relief, and comments are made by several female characters in several of the books that he just refuses to grow up, but at the end of A Civil Campaign, he has finally decided to grow up, you just aren't sure if he is going to make it or not. It would be fun to see what trouble he could get up to, turned loose on the galaxy, instead of his shorter, smarter cousin.

7) A book that should never have been written:
The Good, the Bad, and the Undead, by Kim Harrison. This is the sequel to Dead Witch Walking, which was OK. But one story about Vamps, Weres and Witches running around the back streets of Cincinnati was probably enough. (And maybe too much, though I think there are four in the series now.)

8) A book I'm currently reading:
Thunder and Lightning, Natalie Goldberg. Natalie Goldberg is my favorite author of books about writing. Writing Down the Bones, and Wild Mind are also good. I really enjoyed her memoir Long Quiet Highway that details her studies with her Zen teacher Katagiri Roshi, the impact he had on her life and his death from cancer.

9) A book I'm planning to read:
Steering the Craft, Ursula K. Le Guin. A book about writing by one of my favorite authors.

10) Five people I'll send these questions on to:
Since I don't do that, feel free to join in.

No comments: