Sunday, November 11, 2007

Five Planes

5. Harrier Jump Jet

Love the idea of vertical take-off and landing.

4. V-22 Osprey

Yes, it is a plane. (And I still like the video.)

3. Rutan VariEze

An airplane that was impossible to stall. Too bad the liability lawyers put the whole industry out of business - mostly. Does anyone home-build kits anymore?

2. SR-71 Blackbird

Mach 3.2 at 85,000 feet has to count for something.
"Though I fly through the Valley of Death... I shall fear no evil. For I am at 80,000 feet and climbing."
- At the entrance to the old SR-71 operating base Kadena, Okinawa
Some video too. The record speed flight - 3529 km/hr. That's 980 meters per second. Very cool.

1. ASK-21ASW-27

Soaring is to flying as sailing is to boating. In other words, it is quiet. I took soaring (or gliding - though that makes people think of hang-gliders) lessons one summer. But it was still too expensive with the tow plane and the instructor. It was wonderful though. If I was buying one, it would be something like the ASW-27B (see photo), but the ASK-21 is the standard trainer.

Tam didn't start it, but kept it going.

No comments: