Saturday, February 02, 2008

As the Llamas would say... Gratuitous Movie Posting


Saw what I think is a little-known Sam Raimi (lately of Spider-Man fame) movie, The Quick and the Dead (1995). Pretty formulaic western, but with a twist- crooked town, stranger rides in and has a hand in msking things right. With a revenge story thrown in gratis.

The twist is the "mysterious stranger" is played by Sharon Stone. I don't think this did too well in the theaters, I certainly don't remember it when it came out, but I like it. It has some of the quirkiness of early Raimi films, like Darkman, interesting cinematography as well as lots of good acting from Russell Crowe, Gene Hackman, David Keith, and even a fair job by Leonardo DiCaprio - who I generally hate, but it was OK since you wanted to hate him when you didn't feel sorry for him.

Certainly it isn't your standard western, but it is fun to watch.

No comments: