Monday, February 18, 2008

The Response to a Serial Rapist? Distribute Whistles

The Associated Press: Reno Campus on Edge After Attacks They find the body of a woman missing for a month. Brianna Denison had been raped and strangled.
DNA evidence links Denison's kidnapping to two other attacks on women near the university late last year, police said. An earlier campus attack also could be related. In that incident, the attacker brazenly raped a woman at gunpoint in a garage where campus police park their cruisers.
The response to this situation?
The attacks have led to expanded campus patrols and escorts, seminars on personal safety and the distribution of whistles to female students.
Whistles are going to be a big help against someone who is armed.

How about changing your stupid no guns policy? Is it a law in Nevada, or just a university rule?

And as Breda says, you have to fight back.
Compared to raped women, rape-avoiders were more likely to be the eldest daughter, taller and heavier, and never married. They played sports in childhood, and held nontraditional views of their future roles. Situational factors positively associated with rape included nighttime, the use of force, no observers, first-floor residence, and inside attack site. Of five active resistance strategies examined, talking was most frequently used, fleeing was most successful, and pleading was least successful. In general, these women all used a combination of strategies in responding to attack. The most frequently used combination of strategies among avoiders was screaming and physical resistance. Avoiders most frequently used three strategies, while rape victims used only one strategy. Fear of rape and determination not to be raped were the avoiders' main concerns, while fear of death/multilation was the victims' chief concern. Avoiders also appeared able to perceive danger from ambiguous clues earlier in the scenario than did women who were raped. Results suggest that the traditional advice that women should not resist a rape attempt may be misguided.
For years, people told women resisting rape lead to increased injury. (Men told them this because they didn't see rape as a horrible injury in itself.) But if you really look at the data, resisting decreases your likelihood of being injured.
The results indicate that 85 percent of the women in the study who resisted with physical force did so in response to the offender's initiated violence. The remaining 15 percent who resisted with physical force did so in response to the offender's verbal aggression. Moreover, those women who responded with physical aggression to the offender's violent physical attack were more likely to avoid rape than were women who did not resist such force. Also, the potential for physical injury was no greater for these women than for those who used other resistance strategies or who offered no resistance. These analyses suggest that the correlation often found between physical resistance and victim injury might be the result of the initial level of the offender's violence and should not be used to discourage women from physically resisting rape.
And before you jump on me, it is true that men - traditionally anyway - don't see rape as a serious offense. The "international law" that the Left loves so much doesn't even recognize that lethal force is an appropriate response to rape because it isn't a "life-threatening" attack. (International law is set in part by folks in the Middle East.)

We must stop having candle-light vigils, and passing out whistles, and we must enable women to defend themselves (say by allowing concealed weapons on college campuses). We need to start teaching women and young girls to really defend themselves, with their hands and feet, with whatever is to hand, as well as with firearms. We have to teach them that when faced with a rapist, they need not be a little lady, but that they need to fight back, like a cornered cat. [Hat tip to Breda and to Uncle]

No comments: