Sunday, May 04, 2008

Hours for Police to Respond to 911 Call

Call 'made my skin crawl': 911 dispatcher System failure indeed. Because a phone system was down, 911 calls were routed to another center. The 911 call came in at 3:06 AM. Officers arrived at the home at 4:27, but did not enter the home until 7:45. That is 4 hours and 39 minutes between the call and when police took action, for the arithmetically challenged. How many people bled to death in that time. (This was a murder/suicide via knife, after all.)

So tell me again how 911 is the answer to all my problems. Tell me how if I just call 911, the police will race (4 hours and 39 minutes?) to my rescue. Oh, and they didn't have to go far, but there were other calls in front of this one even when it got routed to the correct force. And then they arrived on scene. And then they waited 3 hours and 18 minutes to do anything that might have been remotely useful.

911 can do a lot of things for you. It can't protect you against a violent maniac. Maybe nothing can, but you have a better chance if you are prepared to defend yourself. (Image © Oleg Volk - click the image for a larger view.)

No comments: