Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Cult of Personality

The Candidate As Cult Leader I don't usually agree with Medved, but I think he has one thing right.

Obama - whether you like him or hate him - has a large number of "followers." They don't view him as another Republican or Democrat, but more like the Second Coming.

While a liberal Democratic President wouldn't thrill me. A cult-leader scares the crap out of me. Cult leaders can do anything and their followers love it. They can demand anything, and a big section of their followers will go right along with the program. But this is really where we are a nation.

After years of an education system that doesn't educate, we have a population that doesn't care about policy. (You like Obama's policy? What is it? Has it changed in the last 6 months?) Instead we are left with a culture of personality. Consider for a minute, do you think someone like Abraham Lincoln could be elected to national office today? I don't. People would look at him, and not listen to what he had to say. It is how we are apparently selecting leaders today.

Now the Republicans aren't a lot better. The veneration of Reagan always struck me as odd. But then he was just as hated by the Left as he was loved by the Right.

You see I have listened to Barack "Don't Say My Middle Name" Obama has said over his career. What he had to say about guns, gun owners and gun rights made me decide I don't like his positions. He has changed those - slightly - in the last year or so, but I don't trust what a politician says in a campaign, unless it matches what he said for the past 10 or 15 years of his public career. Obama's position is clear; he hates guns, and gun owners. In short, is a perfect product of the Chicago Democratic scene.

No comments: