Sunday, February 01, 2009

I Don't Know Who is the Bigger Idiot

Nurse suspended for offering to pray for patient's recovery - Telegraph The Nurse for rubbing her religion in patients' faces (I know you don't think she was, but the complaint was from someone who did), the person who made the complaint, or the medical trust who employed her. There is probably some for each of them.

And before you get all medieval on me, consider this case if nurse in question was an adherent to a religion that practiced animal sacrifice... How would you react if she offered to perform a sacrifice for you? (Hialeah, Florida passed a ban on animal sacrifice - recently upheld - because the discarded carcasses, usually chickens, were a health hazard. Miami, has a special squad of maintenance workers to clean the courthouse - the voodoo squad.) So, exactly which religions get to "share with the patients" and which don't? Of course the bureaucracy is going to say none, and I'm not sure they are wrong.

If you come into my home to give me services, be they medical or whatever, I don't want a side of religion with it. You are free to practice your religion in anyway you want, as long as you leave me out of it. I don't inflict mine on you, and I ask you to show the same courtesy while you are in my home. You want to freely exercise your religion? Fine, go to your home.

That said, a simple, "No, thank you," would have gone a long way. And you can request different personnel without getting someone fired. (Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to be able to get along with everyone.)

Being suspended? A reprimand and reassignment probably would have been enough. But I guess they had to do something.

No comments: