Monday, February 02, 2009

The US Census: Big Brother Nosy Neighbor

I've been meaning to write about this for sometime. Ever since they invaded my father's privacy.

We were supposed to have received a letter in the mail. I never saw it. They couldn't email it to me, and wouldn't read it to me over the phone. Faxing was not something I thought of because it would have been a few bucks and a trip to the UPS Store. A pain in the ass.

This wasn't the every-10-year, redistrict for Congress census, this was the we just want to invade your privacy because we need to have something to do while we wait for the 10-year census. In other words, the "household survey."

If you get notified about one of these, please note that you are free to decline. They won't say this over the phone. Ask, "Is this optional?" and they will tell you, "It is essential." But when I got my hands on a copy of the letter, it is, in fact, optional. "You are free to decline..." or something to that effect. If they bother you, I recommend you decline, but that's me

As caregiver, I got to keep my dad out of it.

I have 2 observations:

1. Most of these questions are stupid.
"Is there phone service at this residence?"

"Hello, you called me to set up this appointment."
2. If anyone relies on these surveys for anything, they are stupid.

Most of the answers were "I don't know," or "I don't want to answer that question," or it was a guess.

No comments: