Sunday, May 17, 2009

Cowboy Action Shooting Has Been Getting Some Good Press

Regulators bring Old West flavor to sport I hadn't done a news search on Cowboy Action Shooting in some time, so I was a bit surprised at how much good press there is.

I must confess I don't shoot Cowboy Action, only because I haven't invested in the paraphernalia and the guns. (And were I am in Florida, it is quite a drive to get to the matches. Were I get exiled to the Midwest also has some problems given the completely insane gun laws in Illinois.) But I have been to a number of matches. The Single Action Shooting Society always looks like they are having the very best time.

Anyway, this article is pretty typical of what I saw. A description of people having friendly competition and a lot of fun. It details how this particular local group got started, how it has grown, and the charity that they raise money for ($60K to $90K per year).

It begins with an overview of Cowboy Action Shooting.
CARLSBAD — Vintage firearms, authentic period costuming, unique targets and an Old West storefront town make for an interesting sport called Cowboy Action Shooting.

Cowboy Action Shooting is a multifaceted shooting sport in which contestants compete with firearms typical of those used in the taming of the Old West. The firearms are single action revolvers, lever action rifles and side-by-side double barreled, pre-1899 pump- or lever-action shotguns.
It covers the weapons used, the period costumes and the stages. (The didn't talk about the food. It seems like every Cowboy event I ever attended had great food.)

Now, I don't expect this kind of thing to make it into the mainstream press, but it is nice to see the information out there.

No comments: