Thursday, May 07, 2009

Now That's What You Call Ironic

Eco-sailors rescued by oil tanker You can tell that they did little research about what conditions were likely to be this time of year.
An expedition team which set sail from Plymouth on a 5,000-mile carbon emission-free trip to Greenland have been rescued by an oil tanker.
Most sane sailors stay out of the North Atlantic until June, few go that far north, most are heading West to East.

By the time the oil tanker got to the sailboat, the worst was over.
The transfer from the Fleur to Overseas Yellowstone was achieved in 42mph (67km/h) winds.
36 knots is fair amount of wind. The last time I was out in those kinds of conditions, I really had to reduce sail, but I didn't have to issue a mayday. (Since my engine had died the day before, I did call for a tow to get back to the dock.) And yes I was tired and cold. And that was in Florida, not the North Atlantic.

And actually the 1 British sailor in the marina (or the only one I knew) decided that 35 knots of wind was "just like home" and actually went out for the day. So what these "eco-sailors" were trying to do, aside from stage a publicity stunt, I don't know.

Most people sailing east-to-west from England, leave in November, head south to the Canaries, and then catch the trades across the Atlantic to the Windward Islands in the Caribbean. That is known as the Milk Run. But hey, so many people are doing that every year (2 or 3000 boats, the last time I checked) it would be hard to make a publicity splash. [via Lumberjack]

Update: If you want real view of "carbon-free" sailing, check out Lin and Larry Pardey. They have been around the world (twice? maybe 3 times now) on boats that have no engine. Of course they use kerosene for cooking and heat, so they aren't quite carbon free. I wonder how those "eco-sailors" were cooking food.

No comments: