Tuesday, September 01, 2009

“I did what I had to do.”

What would you do if a robber pushed your niece down on a bed? Robbery, standoff end with 2 men dead in Fairborn Robbers meet armed homeowner. But because they had the advantage, he didn't do anything right away.
“I didn’t know who they were, and they kept asking 'Where’s the money?’ ” Fugate said. “My brother, we kept trying to talk in circles to keep them calm. The black guy, he kept laughing.”

That man, Danny L. Brown, 30, pushed Fugate’s niece down onto a bed while rummaging through a safe in the bedroom, Fugate said.

“That was enough for me and it allowed me to get my gun from where I keep it in the bed and I raised up and fired,”
He shot Brown in the head, who was pronounced dead at a local hospital.

The other home invader, got away with a silver bar and some prescription meds. Cops traced him when two women tried to pawn the silver bar.
Hours later three women tried to pawn the silver bar, Dayton Lt. Patrick Welsh said. Detectives used the silver bar to track down Jones in Fairborn, Welsh said.

Jones at first slammed the door and held his grandmother, Edna Vickery, captive, yanking her back into the house twice when she tried to leave, Fairborn police Capt. Doc Plemmons said.

About 15 minutes later, police were able to pull the woman out of her home when she came to the door a third time.
He was later found dead in that home with his wrists cut.

Ohio has a pretty good version of the Castle Doctrine, so the homeowner is not expected to face any charges.
“I ain’t no hero, and I’m broken up about it,” Fugate said. “I did what I had to do.”
No word on what fate dished out to the women who tried to pawn the silver. Accessory after the fact, does sort of come to mind.

Self-defense is a human right, and in Ohio it is also your legal right.

No comments: