Monday, October 12, 2009

Two Lessons

It will "feel weird" and don't (always) listen to the dispatcher. Homeowner: I shot intruder who was kicking my bedroom door

The dispatcher told him to put his weapon down, assuring him the people in his home were the police.
“Go and put your gun down because if you hear anything, it’s going to be the deputies,” the 911 dispatcher insisted.

Then, moments later, the sound of gunfire can be heard. Guzman said he fired shots because the intruder was trying to kick down the door to his bedroom.

“As soon as he put his foot there, that’s when I shot, because he had a big tattoo on his face and when the lady was telling me that’s the sheriff’s department, when he came into that door I said that’s not the sheriff’s department,” Guzman said.
Dispatchers have told people "help is on the way" keeping people from running when they had the chance. Dispatchers told this guy to disarm himself in the face of a violent intruder.

The guy with the tattoo, and the woman driving the getaway car were both arrested.

This guy didn't want to shoot anyone. (He had barricaded himself in a back bedroom and call 911.) But he did what he had to do to defend himself.
“It’s a weird feeling,” said Jorge Guzman while walking through his bullet-riddled Lima Drive home. “I don’t care who it is or who they think they are, when you’re in that position, it’s totally different.”
I hope I never have to face that situation.

No comments: