It isn't often there is good news. (Of course I don't think you will see too much of this in the news.)
For the third year in a row, our Preliminary Semiannual Uniform Crime Report shows that violent crime, property crime, and arson have decreased. The latest report compares January-June 2009 figures with the same time period in 2008.All regions of the country saw decreases, but there was some bad news. While major cities saw decreased crime, crime increased in smaller cities.
Still the news is good.
Individual crimes are also decreasing across the board:Given that we buy about 4.5 million of the 8 million guns manufactured every year, that has to give lie to the 'more guns cause more crime' mantra. Or it would if rationality had anything to do with politics.
* Murder (down 10.0 percent);
* Forcible rape (down 3.3 percent);
* Robbery (down 6.5 percent);
* Aggravated assault (down 3.2 percent);
* Burglary (down 2.5 percent);
* Larceny-theft (down 5.3 percent); and
* Motor vehicle theft (down 18.7 percent).