Sunday, June 19, 2011

Bombing the Crap Out of Libya Doesn't Constitute "Hostilities"

George Orwell would be proud Gates: Obama is within law in Libyan operation - Yahoo! News
President Barack Obama rejects the word "hostilities" to describe U.S. involvement in Libya's civil war. Along the same lines, Defense Secretary Robert Gates calls American actions there "a limited kinetic operation."
With no sense of irony the Secretary of Defense practically quotes the Lewis Carroll.
Asked on "Fox News Sunday" if the U.S. was engaged in hostilities in Libya, Gates said: "The way I like to put it is, from our standpoint at the Pentagon, we're involved in a limited kinetic operation. If I'm in Gadhafi's palace, I suspect I think I'm at war."
Which for some reason made me feel like I was Through the Looking Glass.
'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.'
Or maybe it is a more Orwellian point of view.
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength
No blood for oil.

No comments: