Thursday, August 11, 2011

Justice? Not Likely

Cops Could Be Let Go For Disregarding Hate Crime: DCist It sounds good, but read the fine print.

A group of cops laughed at lesbians who had been attacked in a hate crime. A report wasn't filed at the scene - why bother they were just a bunch of dykes. 3 days later a report was filed by the gay/lesbian liaison's office.

So now the original cops might be in hot water.
Chief Cathy Lanier says that she'll punish them severely if she has to, possibly firing a group of seven if the results of an investigation prove that occurred.
IF. That is a really big word when it comes to police investigating police. Maybe I am just jaded by my knowledge of how things work in Chicago, but I would bet good money that these cops don't get much beyond a slap on the wrist. I would like to be wrong; I would like to believe that bigots get thrown off police forces, but I don't believe that they do.

1 comment:

Jake (formerly Riposte3) said...

The union will step in and make sure they don't get fired, or any real penalty, despite what the Chief says or even wants.

[Sean Connery Voice]"That's the Chicago Way." [/Sean Connery Voice]