Sunday, September 11, 2011

Did The Chicago Prosecutors Know About Police Torture?

This is related to the Jon Burge case. (He was commander of The Midnight Crew of Area 2.) Time for Daley to talk about brutality - Chicago Sun-Times

John Tillman confessed to a rape and murder back in 1986.

There is just one problem. DNA evidence proves he is innocent of the crime. He claims he was tortured by the Midnight Crew. (A lot of people were, apparently.) He spent 24 years in prison for a crime he did not commit.
“I was hit with the fist, the phone book, I had a plastic bag placed over my head repeatedly,” Tillman recalled. “I had a gun put to my head while I was on my knees. I had a 7-Up poured down my nose. I was hit in the leg with a flashlight. I felt like a slave, tied to a tree, that couldn’t do nothing ’cause I was always bound.”

More than 100 men claim they were tortured, dating back to the 1970s. Today, Jon Burge sits in a federal prison, convicted just last year of perjury and obstruction of justice.
The question is, did Daley, who was one of several prosecutors know what was going on? The beatings, and intimidation, etc. (Some say "How could they not know?" but I leave such judgements to others.)

What is clear is that under Daley, the City of Chicago spent 43 million dollars defending the cops (and now the ex-mayor and maybe other prosecutors?) instead of settling. But then that is Chicago for you.

No comments: