Sunday, March 25, 2012

Boo Hoo. Lethal Self-defense is Often Lethal.

I wrote about this story before: A guy calls the cops on a wild party. One of the kids from the party breaks into his house. (Why? We don't know. Payback or just hiding from cops? You don't know. I don't know. The only guy who really knows is dead. They guy who did the shooting only knew that one of the party-goers broke into his home.

Now everyone is all boo hooing over the fact that the guy - who was shot in self-defense - got shot. Report: Homeowner shot intruder with police nearby - WBAY-TV Green Bay-Fox Cities-Northeast Wisconsin News So what? Police were "nearby." WTF does that mean? I give up my right of self-defense if I think police are about?

There have been enough cases where police arrive and "establish a perimeter" and don't do a damn thing until everyone is dead. Give me a freaking break. Police were nearby. For all the good it can do, sometimes, they might as well be on the moon.
Washington County District Attorney Mark Bensen decided last week that homeowner Adam Kind acted in self-defense when he killed 20-year-old Bo Morrison, of West Bend. Morrison was 1 of about 20 people at an underage drinking party next door, and hid in Kind's back porch.
Was this a "good kid?" I don't know and neither do you. He was at a wild party. He ran when police were called. (If you run from police when police are present, that is "resisting arrest.") He broke into a home. Are these the things a good kid does? (I did some of these things, and I am under NO illusion that I was an angel - I wasn't.) But none of this is the issue.

He broke into a house. He was confronted by the homeowner and he was shot. What do you think is going to happen when you break into a house? Do you think you will be invited to tea?

As far as I can tell, this is still a case of Good Guys 1, Bad Guys 0.


DirtCrashr said...

"Police were nearby," is as good as "Police were wearing Blue" or "Police were eating Donuts" or "Police were driving around"...utterly useless.

Zendo Deb said...

I have to say the only thing in that list I did was go to wild parties.