Wednesday, April 25, 2012

All Is Well - Not Hardly

I can't wait to see how the Democrats will spin this. Durable-Goods Orders Fall - WSJ.com

One things is interesting.
Orders for all capital goods fell 8.9% last month, though spending on defense jumped 10.3%.
That is a pretty healthy increase in spending on defense. Did we start another war when I wasn't looking? Or are we about too?

I thought the end of the Iraq war was supposed to save up all kinds of money. I guess they don't want the economy to fall off a cliff before the election.

3 comments:

Rich E said...

I have heard via blogs that the feds are buying ammo and stuff like it is going out of season. As if the were preparing for a war or something maybe this is where the increase is coming from? BUT better question, if this is true why so much buying of ammo?

Zendo Deb said...

Spending by law enforcement doesn't count as "defense."

And the blogs - as usual - are blowing things a bit out of proportion.

The contract was for ammo purchase over a long period (5 or 10 years). But everyone think they are buying all the ammo at one time - today.

Graybeard said...

A data point (I'm late to the party, I know - meant to post this the other night): the defense side of the company I work for is down, and laid off a few hundred last fall. Our commercial side is still busy, but really examining any spending.

So I don't know what the defense spending is on. Everything I've heard of is being slow-rolled or cut.