Thursday, June 07, 2012

Bad Day for Science Fiction Fans

I have to confess I don't care for most of his stuff. Too hard on the hard-science side of science fiction for my take, but that said you can't deny he was a great author. Ray Bradbury, author of ‘Fahrenheit 451,’ ‘Dandelion Wine,’ remembered by fans - The Washington Post He died at the age of 91.
Ray Bradbury, one of the most recognizable and monumental science-fiction authors of all time, died Tuesday at the age of 91. He endeared himself with fans through his extensive work, which was full of imagination as well as dark but poignient social commentary
‘Fahrenheit 451’ was more disturbing than Brave New World. Maybe I just saw how true to life it was. (People hated the folks in school who were smart. At least some of them did - hence the names: four eyes, nerd, etc. Which was the basis for part of the book, anyway.)

Have read a few of the obits, and no one seems to mention "I, Robot" even though it was made into a major motion picture. (Or part of it was, anyway) And no mention of The Foundation Trilogy. Which grew to more than 3 books if memory serves. Strange. I guess journalists don't actually read SciFi.

UPDATE: OK, apparently at 1:00 this afternoon I spaced on the difference between Bradbury and Asimov. That's fine. I feel the same way about both. Though I did like F-451. I didn't like Martian C, or Illustrated Man. (Also a motion picture... also not mentioned. And it was fair movie by the standards of 1960's SciFi.

3 comments:

Jake (formerly Riposte3) said...

"no one seems to mention "I, Robot" even though it was made into a major motion picture. (Or part of it was, anyway) And no mention of The Foundation Trilogy."

Um, I, Robot and the Foundation trilogy were by Isaac Asimov, not Ray Bradbury.

Zendo Deb said...

Duh, I knew that on some level... not a good day I guess.

Zendo Deb said...

Actually you can start a list of 50s/60s SciFi writers I mostly can't read...

Heinlein. Some of his stuff is funny. Most I find unreadable. It just may be that it hasn't aged well.

Silverberg.

The Stainless Steel Rat. Yes I know, he isn't an author, and Google would tell me authors name. Don't care.

Same goes for Midnight at the Well of Souls.

We read Dune in a SciFi book club once - at the insistence of someone. A friend said she threw the book across the room at the end. Herbert is a bit long in the tooth.

Conversely, I can read most stuff by Clarke.